We first met in 2001 as a 'Cancer Patients' Forum' following a Government initiative to involve patients in their own care. We became the 'KMCC Service User Locality Group', with our own Partnership Co-ordinator.
In 2016, after a consultation review it was decided to rebrand and rename the Locality Groups. The groups are now called Medway Cancer Action Group, West Kent Cancer Action Group and East Kent Cancer Action Group (CAGs for short) and the Kent & Medway Cancer Action Partnership is the overarching umbrella of these groups.
The members of the Cancer Action Groups are:
- Cancer service users - patients, former patients, carers and family members
- Representatives from the voluntary sector, including cancer support groups
- Healthcare professionals who work in cancer services and have an interest in user involvement.
What we aim to do:
- Influence and improve the development and delivery of cancer services
- Encourage the exchange of information within the Cancer Collaborative
- Provide working groups to find and push forward solutions to specific issues. We may not always achieve the desired result but will seek a valid explanation.
The Cancer Action Groups are NOT a:
- Fast track complaints service
- Support Group.
You can contribute by:
- Completing an Expression of Interest form and sending it to us by email (firstname.lastname@example.org
- Signing up to receive our Newsletters
- Attending meetings. Each locality area (Medway, Maidstone and Canterbury) has 3 meetings per year
- Being part of a working group
- Proof reading documents, policies, etc.
- Become a member of your Hospital Trust Patient Experience Group and attend meetings
- Raising issues of importance to patients and carers
- Commenting on the issues under discussion - by telephone, post, email, video conference, WebEx or in person
- Giving us your ideas on how to gather more patients' and carers' views
- Representing the Kent & Medway Cancer Action Partnership on Tumour Site Specific Group meetings (TSSGs) by completing a TSSG Expression of Interest form.
The Cancer Action Groups can offer participants:
- A voice in improving and developing cancer services
- Partnership working between healthcare professionals and service users
- Involvement at regional and national level
- Training and information
- Expenses for travel and costs incurred when taking part in Cancer Action Group/Cancer Action Partnership projects, meetings, training courses or other events.
Car User Registration Form
Personal Details Form
Electronic Travel Expense Form
If you are interested in giving us feedback and would like to know more about how you can use your experience to support and develop cancer services across Kent and Medway, please contact us at: email@example.com.
Expression of Interest Form
Kent & Medway Cancer Action Partnership Leaflet
Patient and Public Representative Request Form
Pocket Size Jargon Buster